Quantcast

Friday, October 24, 2014

Short Fiction Friday: Flavorwire's 50 Scariest Short Stories

Y'all, this is sooo cool! Monday, Flavorwire put together their list of the "50 Scariest Short Stories of All Time" and it is packed with big names, creepy tales, and online freebies! That's right, they've included links to where you can find 33 of the stories, including one by Neil Gaiman, another by Roald Dahl, and even one by King himself.

Here's the full list to scroll through.

I'd already read a few of the stories listed: "Veldt" by Ray Bradbury, "A Good Man is Hard to Find" by Flannery O'Connor, "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, "The Willows" by Algernon Blackwood, "Midnight Meat Train" by Clive Barker, Faulkner's "A Rose for Emily," Daphne Du Maurier's "Don't Look Now," and (of course) "The Green Ribbon" by Alvin Schwartz.

But really that's so very few! So I started with story number one, Harlan Ellison's truly bizarre "I Have No Mouth and I must Scream," and am working my way through. So far I have to say that Kelly Link's "Two Houses" is my favorite. (And I know they list her upcoming collection for that one, which isn't due out until Feb, but a version of the story can actually be found in the Ray Bradbury tribute collection, Shadow Show. A fabulous collection, by the way.)

No comments: