Quantcast

Monday, February 24, 2014

Grave by Joan Frances Turner

So it seems I was able to get to some more "women in horror" titles this month after all! I did a bit of a binge read over the weekend and knocked out two more titles from the TBR including this latest by Joan Frances Turner.

This third and final installment in Joan Frances Turner's Resurgam Trilogy brings together the characters from both Dust and Frail. Jessie, Linc, and Renee are still living in their cabin community in the woods and reluctant to have any dealings with the hoos. Their hand is forced, however, when Jessie's sister, Lisa, returns with a group of them in tow. Amy and her hellhound, Nick, Lucy, Stephen, Lisa, and Naomi narrowly escaped the research facility Natalie called home. They've been on the run ever since constantly looking over their shoulder in the knowledge that Death or the creepy Scissor Man might be on their trail. It seems Death is unhappy about the current state of things - you know, no one really dying - and is ready do something about it. 

As much as I'd been looking forward to this wrap up of the trilogy and the meeting of all the characters in question, I found that the long passage of time between the second book and this installment was a bit of a detriment to my reading.

I'd read Dust and Frail almost back to back in 2011 and - as is often the case - didn't have a chance to squeeze in a re read before Grave, the release of which did come as a bit of a surprise with my only finding out about it in December or so.

There is nothing wrong with Grave and given my enjoyment of both Dust and Frail I do highly recommend the trilogy as a whole to fans of zombie fiction, especially fans of zombie fiction with a unique twist. Given the chance I would love to go back and re read the first two books so that I can experience the trilogy together. I feel the time lapse sadly left me disconnected from the characters as a whole and unable to regain any semblance of that connection in spite of my desperately trying to do so.

Rating: 3/5

1 comment:

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

You know, I have the first book in this series. I don't know why I ever started it (maybe because I wanted to wait until they all came out?). In any case, I'm going to pick it up and give it a try! Hopefully I'll be able to read them all in pretty quick succession!