Quantcast

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Romantic Reads

I've decided to jump on board with Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic, Romantic Reads (which can be swoon worthy books, favorite romance reads, or best couples). I fear I may be out of my element here with this topic!

1. Jane Eyre - because I like my romantic reads with a tinge of gothic atmosphere!

2. Anything by Cecelia Ahern - P.S. I Love You will likely always be my favorite but I think in general her books are pretty romantic.

3. Forgotten by Catherine McKenzie - I adore McKenzie's work. This was a fun and sweet read and the romance was just right for my taste.

4. The Princess Bride by William Goldman - because it's The Princess Bride!

5. Austenland by Shannon Hale - I thought this was such a cute read! I can't wait for the movie.

Onto some couples now.

6. Julia Grey and Nicholas Brisbane from Deanna Raybourn's series. They're two of a kind: stubborn, clever, and passionate.

7. Stephanie Plum and Joe Morelli from Janet Evanovich's series. Yeah, I know they're on again and off again and Ranger keeps getting in the way, but one of these days I think they'll settle down :)

8. Charley and Reyes in Darynda Jones's Charley Davidson series. Not sure how romantic I'd call this couple so far, but their relationship sure is... steamy.

9. Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus from Faye Kellerman's series. Now this is definitely not a romantic series and I'm a bit behind, but I love this couple. They support each other and work great together as husband and wife.

10. Izzy and Henry from Lisa Lutz's Spellman series. They're another on again off again couple. I do so love them together though!

11. I have to get some King in here -- Eddie and Susannah from the Dark Tower series and Stu and Frannie from The Stand! Nothing like a couple that can find one another in an alternate dimension or the apocalypse!

So there you go! I was really reaching with this list. While most of my books have a romantic aspect to them, it's not what sticks in my mind further down the line. To be honest, I probably would have been better off doing an anti-romance list -- horror reads NOT to get you in the mood or something like that. So let's see:

1. The Shining - yep, that secluded winter getaway may seem romantic until hubs goes all crazy like.

2. Cujo and Pet Semetary - 'cause nothing says I love you like a slavering, rabid dog or a zombie cat (and kid).

3. Wuthering Heights - I may catch some flack here. Don't get me wrong, I love the story but I Cathy and Heathcliff are so horrible to one another!

4. Haunted by James Herbert - undoubtedly one of my favorite all time books here, but let's face it the character is driven a bit over the edge by the time the book ends.

5. Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews! Because, ew.

6. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - neglected to include this one and it's probably even more anti-romance than my #1, but it's such a great read!

8 comments:

Brittany said...

Totally with you on Wuthering Heights. I love that book, but I would gladly slap every character in the face. JUST TALK TO EACH OTHER! Communication is key!

elena said...

Shamefully, I don't think I've read any of these books but this is an interesting list! Must get to reading...

Samantha Stewart said...

I love Cecelia Ahern's books! I totally agree with you about Wuthering Heights. I absolutely loved the book, but the characters are horrible!

danicapage said...

I love that you put Jane Eyre and Princess Bride. I forgot both of those.

And yes WH, those characters are awful. Love book, hate characters.

Here's my pick with dystopian, bad boys, and calssics galore

Thanks for sharing!

~Danica Page@Taking it One Page at a Time

Lisa @ Bookshelf Fantasies said...

Ha! I love your anti-romance list, couldn't agree more! I'm so happy to see Eddie & Susannah on your list --why didn't I think of them? Really great choices!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

I'm totally rooting for Joe and Stephanie, too, but I would be ok if Ranger stayed in the mix. lol, it is the only love triangle I am happy to leave unresolved.

And it totally broke my heart when Izzy and Henry were on the outs in the last Spellman book. I am hopeful that's not the end of their story!

BookCupid said...

haha, love your idea of an anti-love list :)

Here is my TTT

Unknown said...

A couple of other people mentioned the Princess Bride. I can't believe I forgot to include it in my list.