Quantcast

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Another Rec From My Reading Past

I had planned on saving Michelle Gagnon's latest, The Gatekeeper, for my trip last week, but I couldn't wait that long to read it. I think I got it a week before that, that's how impatient I am.

I thought I would hold out initially because strangely I've read Michelle's books on vacation before. In fact, while driving from Colorado to Louisiana last summer, we stopped in Austin for a couple of days to attend the wedding of a high school classmate and Bone Yard was my companion in the hotel while Mike was at the bachelor's party.

Like I said, I was impatient and started reading it Thanksgiving day instead. And then I realized that I've not yet posted anything about this series. Chalk it up to starting the blog after reading the first and somehow...

But I'm doing it now. We're three books in here and I think it's high time for anyone who hasn't started them yet to do so now.

When the series began with The Tunnels in 2007, I was lucky enough to get a review copy from the publisher. Here's my review from the BB archives:

FBI agent Kelly Jones has no family, no real friends and no ties. Her only real motivation is her job, and the tragedy in her past that led to her career. Now, the bodies of two coeds have been found in an abandoned tunnel system below her alma mater. The first body, that of Anna Varelas, is found mutilated and posed before an odd image painted in blood. The blood belongs to Lin Kaishin, the second body discovered in the tunnels. Kaishin is also posed before the same strange image. This time, the blood is that of an unknown pregnant female. Further investigation leads to shocking revelations regarding the symbolism of each site. Everything from the positioning of the bodies to the way that they were killed leads Jones to believe that their suspect is anything but the textbook definition of a serial killer. Gagnon’s debut is sure to be a hit with mystery lovers. Jones is an appealing heroine and the plot is truly original. I really thought I had it figured out, too, but I was completely wrong in the end. I hope book two in the series is soon to follow.

I was, and still am, impressed by Gagnon's ability to make each new book as exciting and intense as the last. And her ideas are completely original each time around. I look forward to each new book in the series with major anticipation. And I have no problem telling you that the end of The Gatekeeper is a whopper that's going to keep me on the edge of my seat until the fourth release rolls around!

For more on Michelle Gagnon and her series, check out her website here. I'll be sure to post both Bone Yard and The Gatekeeper (which I'll review for bookbitch.com this week) shortly.

2 comments:

Vickie said...

She is one of my favorite authors and I agree, each of her books are unique. THE TUNNELS remains my favorite, most intense of the three.

Michelle Gagnon said...

Thanks Becky and Vickie! This made my day!