Quantcast

Friday, September 12, 2008

Unprepared!

I'm totally not at my best at the moment. I've had very little sleep thanks to, I don't know, the crazy alignment of the moons? Anyway. In the midst of my insomnia last night, I did have some great company. Stieg Larsson's U.S. debut hits shelves on Tuesday and I was lucky enough to get an ARC. 

The book has been generating quite a bit of buzz. I've read much of it, but still managed to go into this book without a real idea as to what it was about. It's the first in a trilogy and was originally published in 2005. Unfortunately, Larsson died that same year. The books are already bestsellers in Sweden, and American (and UK) audiences are finally getting their chance with this gem of a detective novel. 

The trilogy, called the Millennium Series, consists of this title, The Girl Who Played with Fire (due out 2009) and Castles in the Sky (due out 2010, possibly with a new title). 

I'm about a quarter of the way into the book and fighting a raging headache, so I'll have to delay any real reviewing at the moment. If you will recall, I did post something right after I received the book, and you can read a brief blurb that comes directly from Larsson's official site. Here's the old post

I can tell you that the girl in question, who is not mentioned in that blurb, is ace PI Lisbeth Salander. As I learn more about her character, I become even more intrigued with where the book and the trilogy are heading. I'll follow up as soon as I've finished reading and will be reviewing the book this weekend for the bookbitch. 

4 comments:

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

I'm right with you Becky. Things have been so crazy I haven't been able to get as much review reading in. This is on my BB review list, but I probably won't be able to send anything until next week.

Becky LeJeune said...

Jenn, it is SO good! I've still got over 100 pages to go, but I was up doing laundry at 2am and I didn't want to put it down even though I have to go into the office today. It's so nasty out, too, I'm dreading doing anything that doesn't involve curling up with it for the next few hours!

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

Egads! I can't wait to get home and start it. Hubby is in charge of dinner tonight so I'll start it as soon as I get home.

Cheryl said...

Sorry to hear about your headache. I have this book on my TBR list. Hope to get to it soon