Quantcast

Friday, September 26, 2008

Finally, A New Book Post!

My experience with Laura Lippman has been one of those, "wow, I can't believe I'm not reading this" experiences. A while back (quite a while back) I had read a few of her Tess Monaghan series. It must have been around my senior year in high school, though, because I didn't buy very many. I had two in the series and that was it. I always had, and still do actually, this guilt in picking up a book that is halfway through a series. I have to read them in order and for some reason was never able to find the books that I was looking for when I was looking for them - hey, I was like 16 or 17 at the time and you just don't have the resources.

Later, when I started working at the bookstore, I got a copy of Every Secret Thing. It was a stand-alone, so there was none of that guilt. 

Even later, right after we had moved to Colorado actually, I received a copy of To the Power of Three. I have to admit, at the time I was a little leery because it was about a school shooting. I'm still leery about that particular subject matter because I always worry about what kind of book I may be picking up. It's a weird thing, I know. Just like I am drawn to certain subjects, I am also turned off by certain ones. Which is strange in this case because I've never read one that would cause me to feel this way. Anyway. It's hard to explain, but I was apprehensive. The book did come with a rave review from the person who had sent it in the first place, and I knew that I liked Lippman so I set aside my fears and found myself utterly engrossed. For once I really didn't mind that we were totally lost heading in the wrong direction for a day trip - until I finished the book in the car, that is. 

To the Power of Three is a stand-alone, not part of the Tess Monaghan series. In the book three friends are involved in a school shooting but no one is sure to what extent. Shots are fired and the three girls are found, two of them wounded and one of them dead. The one girl who's talking is being less than honest, but no one can figure out what she might be hiding. 

It's clear in reading the book just why Lippman is one of the most highly praised mystery writers out there. Her peers, critics, and readers alike all adore her. I do as well. My last trip home I grabbed my four Tess Monaghan books so that I can start over and catch up on the series (I have five now!) and her stand-alones are at the top of my suggested reading lists for others. If you've not read her before, I would urge you to run out and grab To the Power of Three today. Trust me, you'll want to read in one sitting! 

Lippman's latest, Hardly Knew Her, hits shelves next Tuesday. Its a collection of short fiction and a novella that's already getting big buzz. Lippman also contributed to one of my favorite short story collections, Like a Charm check out my post from March for more on that particular title.  

Now I have to go read 'cause I have lots to catch up on!

3 comments:

MsValerie said...

Hi, Becky! I've always enjoyed Lippman's books and have been reading them since Baltimore Blues came out in 1997. Her Tess Monaghan series is great and I read every one, but her standalones are where she really shines.

Icedream said...

This is another book I have had sitting on my shelf forever. Now I want to put it on the top of my tbr pile. Impossible right now but I am going to try to use all my willpower next year to limit the books I accept for review. I want to start reading some of the books I own.

Michele said...

I enjoy all of Laura Lippman's books and this one was no exception. I read it back in the beginning of 2007. I am excited that Ms. Lippman is coming out with something new. That's always good for me!