Quantcast

Saturday, August 9, 2008

So very late in the day!

So sorry I am late today, I went to a beer festival! For those of you who know me, you know that I am not a beer drinker, but it was a chance to get out of the house and do something different. It was fun!
Needless to say I did not get all of my reading done today. As you all know, I am taking a break from review books just long enough to finish reading the Twilight saga. I'm about halfway through the fourth tome and am really enjoying it.

As soon as it's finished, I will be turning my attention to a few books that have been in my TBR stack for a while. I haven't had much of a chance to tackle them and am hoping that I can squeeze quite a few in this week. We shall see if I am successful.

One of those books is Cold Granite by Stuart MacBride. When I was in NY a couple of months ago, I made a visit to Otto Penzler's mystery bookstore. I wanted a chance to browse some imported titles by authors that I hadn't had the opportunity to read. As you all know, I love discovering new authors. Plus, I was still (and am now) in the mood for something along the Mo Hayder lines.

One of the men working in the store recommended Stuart MacBride to me. Unfortunately, they didn't have the first book, Cold Granite, in stock. He was apologetic but did say that I should start from the beginning with this series. When I saw that I would have a bit of free reading time coming up, I ordered the book from Cynthia at High Crimes.

Here is the STARRED review from PW:

Relentless rain reflects the tormented mood that permeates MacBride's impressive debut set in Aberdeen, Scotland. Det. Sgt. Logan MacRae, back from a lengthy convalescence caused by a crazed suspect's knife attack, is plunged straightaway into the investigation of a brutally murdered child. To make matters worse, the victim's family learns of the death from a reporter before the police have a chance to inform them. Angered and embarrassed by the press leak, Logan, aided by WPC Jackie Watson, vows to expose the source within the precinct. Enter Colin Miller, flashy journalist, who befriends Logan, causing suspicious stares from Logan's superiors. More children go missing, and soon the populace of Aberdeen is screaming for blood. Further inciting the rabble, a notorious defense attorney earns acquittal for a habitual child molester. As a result, a hapless, ruined scholar–turned–street sweeper becomes a scapegoat for the chilling fear that grips the community. Logan must eliminate the distractions caused by the sensational publicity and summon his barely restored strength to anticipate the killer's next move. MacBride allows his characters their humanity, while weaving intriguing subplots in this edge-of-your-seat page-turner.

So far there are four titles in the series. This one is topping my stack at the moment so that I can race through the others and be ready for the release of #4 this fall.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I haven't read anything by this author but I will have to check this series out.

I just finished The Darker Side by Cody McFadyen and enjoyed it.