Quantcast

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Another Apocalypse Wow Title!

It's a well known fact that my uber-idol Steve here hates cell phones. What a productive way of getting a point across, eh?

Like all of King's books, people seem to love 'em or not. I personally love this one. I mean it's two of my biggest horror passions, King and zombies! I love both and now my world is complete, sort of. 

I'm not really sure why I love zombies quite so much. I love end of the world, loss of major technology, survivors fending for themselves stuff. Add the flesh-eating walking dead to the mix and you've got a winner as far as I'm concerned. King sort-of revisits The Stand in a sense. Sure this is not quite the good vs evil epic that Stand was, but some of my favorite elements (mentioned above) are in both. 

I think what shocked me the most about this book in particular was how fast he got to the point. Usually there's this long intro to King's books. You know something bad is coming, but he kind of lulls you with an eerie normalcy and then wham! the shit hits the fan. Not so with Cell, by page two zombies are eating people! Of course, our hero of the piece is separated from his family and his goal is to trek across this newly zombie infested wasteland to find them. 

One of the things that I love about Stephen King (and yes, I've said it before) is the fact that as an author his style is constantly changing and evolving. This became an issue particularly with The Dark Tower series (and speaking of post-apocalypse, yep it's coming!). Readers who love his older work almost vehemently despise the newer titles. I love 'em all. I'm always excited to see what he's doing next and where he'll be taking me. Cell was a zombie extravaganza of the sort that only my favorite author can supply. It satisfied every expectation that I had, I just wish I could read it again for the first time. Now I can only hope that Eli Roth does the film adaptation justice! 

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

I read this book a long time ago. I thought it was good

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

I agree...this is one of my favorite King books. He's an amazing writer. I'm always impressed!

Icedream said...

I really loved The Cell too. I am a King fan forever. I really loved his last book, Duma Key, as well.

Anonymous said...

Being the odd one out - again - this book burned my britches! The ending left me hanging and that was more than I could stand. Haven't been able to read another book of his since.